Sunday 10 June 2007

The Saga Begins

On Wednesday 6th June, 2007, I got home from work and found that my Orange broadband connection wasn't working. The wireless network in my house was still working, and the Livebox was powered on and connected to the phone line. I connected a laptop to the Livebox using a network cable (this wasn't strictly necessary - I could still access using wifi) and browsed to http://configuration.adsl to see if I could glean any clue as to what was causing the problem.

Having signed into the secure area I found a status message of "PPP server down" being displayed.
I used another internet connection to google this error message and found posts such as this one which unfortunately didn't leave me very hopeful about getting the problem resolved quickly.

I decided to start this blog to:

a) document the process I go through to get my broadband fixed
b) leave as a resource for anyone who has the same problem in the future

As a first step I'm going to ring Orange today and explain the problem and see what happens next. I'm going to try the Broadband technical support/customer services number I found here instead of the expensive 0870 number. This is 01642 732785.

No comments: